Cochin International Airport (COK) – Terminal
Cochin International Airport (COK) is located in the town of Kochi, state of Kerala, India. More concretely, Cochin Airport is situated in Nedumbassery (part of Kochi Metropolitan Area), around 25 km in the northeast of Kochi city. Cochin International Airport is the largest airport of the state of Kerala, the fourth largest airport in India, the seventh busiest in India and the world’s first fully solar powered airport.
Standing in a green field, Cochin Airport has more than 46,000 solar panels which take the bright sunlight and convert it into energy. It is the first airport in the world to run completely with solar energy. The project started in 2013 when they planted 400 panels on its rooftop. The experiment succeded so the real plan went all the way until it became totally self sufficient.
Today, Cochin Airport it’s the seventh busiest airport in India and produces more produces more solar energy than it needs so they keep the rest for rainy days and night time requirements.
Cochin International Airport (COK) has 3 Terminals:
- Terminal 1: it is the International passenger terminal. The arrivals and the departures area can hold around 2,000 passengers. COK Airport Terminal 1 has 36 passport control desks, 12 security gates and 12 custom desks. The mid-term plan is to become a domestic terminal passing all the international operations to the newest Terminal 3
- Terminal 2: being the domestic passenger terminal, it is smaller than terminal 1, having the capacity to hold a maximum of 400 passengers at the terminal indoor area. The mid-term plan for the Terminal 2 is to become the Executive terminal, passing all the domestic flights to the newest Terminal 1
- Terminal 3: it is the international passenger Terminal, inaugurated in February of 2016 and starting its operations in April of 2017. With this new Terminal 3, Cochin Airport has become the fourth largest Airport in India, after Delhi, Mumbai and Kolkata.
Within Cochin International Airport passenger Terminals you can find the following services and facilities:
- Left Luggage
- Wi-fi and Internet
- Public Adress System
- Bank and Currency Exchange
- Shops and Dutty free
- Reserved VIP lounges
- Facilitation Counter
- Automatic check-in counters
- Children care room
- Restaurants, cafeterias
- First aid room
- Conference halls
The passenger Terminal of Cochin International Airport (COK) counts with a Business centre as well, where you can find Internet, Photocopies services, Printing services, Fax, Scanning services, E-ticketing, Internet, Mobile renting, and other business services.
Baggage Wrapping Service
Baggage Wrapping Service is available at Cochin International Airport (COK). Wrapping ensures safety of luggage from damages, specially if your bag doesn’t close properly because it’s broken or because you bought too many things and you don’t have enough space for them. To comply with international regulations on the checked baggage, free re-wrap is provided if the bag is is opened during the security check.